Cardigan Fashion Style


Every woman has an article of clothing that they can't live without--for me it is my simple black ladies cardigan. No matter your age, style, or body type there is a ladies cardigan that will be flattering to your appearance without a doubt. A ladies cardigan is the most versatile piece of clothing you can own; on any given day of the week you could pair one with a vibrant colored collared shirt and a pencil skirt and be off to work with an air of confidence. If when the weekend rolls around you're feeling lackadaisical, dress the same ladies cardigan down by wearing it over a loosely fitting embellished tank and a pair of fitted jeans--add a loose cotton scarf for an even more stylish look.

The versatility of a ladies cardigan is not the only reason its one of the hottest fashion items of the season; its flattering, inexpensive, and did I mention its flattering. If you have a favorite pair of jeans that seem to have shrunk in the dryer and now pinch your waste leaving an unflattering line, throw a cardigan over a cute top and hide that line. Or, if you bought a dress that just doesn't seem to fit just right but you want to hang on to it, try wearing a cardigan with it--buttoned, unbuttoned, or belted and see what happens.



My love for ladies cardigans was renewed when I tried one over a previously neglected dress that hid in the dark corner of my closet. I was not fond of how this dress hugged my curves and was especially not pleased with how it looked from behind. Once I tried my reasonably fitted cardigan on, I was amazed by how lovely this old dress looked and how seamlessly the look came together; the cardigan covered up the areas that needed a little camouflage and added some pizzaz to the simplicity of the dress. Next thing I knew I was pulling out a ton of dresses and tops that I had retired from my wardrobe and trying them with different cardigans only to add them back into my current rotation.

Prior to hailing the ladies cardigan I was completely turned off by the newer style of loosely fitting tops. Even after experimenting with different cuts and fits I just could not feel confident wearing a shirt that was baggy in the torso. After my epiphany with my previously unflattering dresses, I decided to try on a combination of ladies cardigans and the new style not-so-fitted tops at a clothing store. To my surprise, the cardigan limits the appearance of the balloon body that I was not too enthusiastic about. This made my life a whole lot easier because these types of shirts fill clothing stores and leave very limited room for the more fitted look I was previously used to. Now I find myself more focused on different necklines and embellishments that I think would be complemented by a ladies cardigan and less focused on the fit of the body of the top. The only downfall is this has opened up so many more clothing options which results in far fewer available hangers in my closet. 

There are a variety of necklines to choose from such as the traditional crew-neck, the slightly more revealing scoop neck, v-neck, cowl-neck, and more. Some necklines are more flattering than others for some people and it really just takes trying on different styles to find the best look for you.

Another area ladies cardigans differ in is their fit. Some cardigans are meant to be more fitted and curvy, while either are designed to be more of a relaxed fit which is sometimes known as the boyfriend cardigan. If worn properly with the right outfit, any fit can be flattering for diverse body-types. However, I have personally found that a loosely fitting top looks best with a more snug fitting cardigan though it can be pulled off with a more relaxed fit as well.

Furthermore, ladies cardigans come in various lengths. Picking the right length will also be determined on what type of look you want to achieve and what outfit you may wear it with. You can find cardigans that fall anywhere in between you waist and just about the back of your knees. Longer cardigans look great with dresses but are harder to pull off with certain fits of jeans.

Ladies cardigans can also be found with different sleeve lengths: full, 3/4 sleeve, half, and 1/8 sleeve. The sleeve you pick may very well change with the seasons. Where a 3/4 sleeve may be perfect on a cool summer night you may want to substitute it for a full sleeve cardigan in the fall and winter months.

5 reason you should own a cardigan 


With weather in the Northeast anything but wintery lately, I’m completely obsessed with cardigans. These hot little button down sweaters aren’t just for teachers anymore – they are stylish, cute and functional.

It’s so easy to wear a cardigan, and every girl’s wardrobe needs one this season. Here’s why:

  • They add color & interest to any outfit. Buy a cardigan in a bright color to dress up a neutral outfit. A plain black tank top looks amazing with a colorful cardigan, jeans and some simple jewelry. 
  • Dress them up or down. Cardigans are great for throwing on for class and staying warm, but are equally awesome to wear at work, to internships, dinner with your boyfriend’s conservative parents, etc.
  • You’ll be prepared for any weather. Throw a cardigan in your tote bag to protect from unexpected cold outside or even air conditioning. You’ll look cute and be comfortable no matter what.
  • Wear your summer tank tops into fall. All those fabulous summer tank tops you own are good through November with a simple cardigan on top. Hello wardrobe versatility.
  • The celebrity style factor. Look at how chic Jessica Alba, Rachel Bilson and Reese Witherspoon look in their cardigans – paired with skinny jeans, a scarf, or even a dress and flats.

From a series of articles about cardigan above, may be able to inspire you in choosing your desired fashion. There are many more articles about fashion which is certainly of interest to you.